Parkour by definition is moving smoothly and efficiently using only the abilities of the human body. The blog title "Forever Parkour" represents the human ability to adapt and implement these principles throughout one's entire life. Starting this sport in my mid-30s is demonstrative of not allowing age to impact ability (or at least minimizing the impact). Parkour is not a competition between others, it is a challenge of improving oneself and one's abilities, as well as continuously expanding perceived limitations.
Parkour and I Meet:
Stumbling onto the sport/lifestyle of Parkour has changed my life in many positive ways. I was a little overweight and wanted to become more fit, so the search for a high intensity sport to assist with this objective began.
While watching a video on an Internet site one day, there were individuals performing all sorts of athletic tricks and moving almost like animals. This is when I was first introduced to Parkour. Using a search engine, I explored further to find if there were any classes in my area. I came across a group that met twice per week, sent them and e-mail, and the area representative invited me to attend a "jam" session (where people get together to perform Parkour and share their knowledge and skills).
What I discovered when first meeting with what are now my fellow Traceurs (people who perform Parkour) is that Parkour was not going to get me in shape. Being that I was about 30 pounds overweight, I was going to have to get into shape in order to be able to participate in Parkour. I became determined to lose weight so I could come back and participate.
After losing 20 pounds (my blog on fitness http://fitnesswisdom.blogspot.com/ ), I started attending jam sessions regularly. Currently I am becoming more and more proficient and embrace Parkour both as a sport and as a lifestyle.
The purpose of this blog is to be informative about Parkour, and demonstrate how efficient movement is an ability that can be practiced and implemented into everyday life at any age. I invite you to not only read my blog about Parkour, but to embrace the art of movement into your own life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
right on bob, live long and parkour.
ReplyDeleteawesome brotha!
ReplyDelete